Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A Source of Hope

I spent about 11 consecutive hours obsessing over the election results. I listened to hours of analysis, followed the math as the numbers came in, and stressed over all of it every step of the way. It completely controlled me and my emotional state of mind. I lost hope. I was angry. I was sad. I was confused. I was scared. I just kept thinking: what is going to happen to this country?

And the truth is, I have no idea.

After all of emotions that coursed through me throughout this process, which culminated and escalated as I watched the electoral map turn red, I realized that there was no point in dwelling in those emotions. That would only make my life miserable. Instead, I'm looking forward. Yes, I have an uneasy feeling about the state of our country. Yes, I'm still struggling to accept this reality. Yes, tears still come to my eyes, and fear to my heart, every time I think about calling him our president. But I'm trying.

I'm trying to see this as an avenue for change, an opportunity for us to grow and learn with one another, to embrace love and understanding and to reject hate and polarization.

I'm trying to take the high road.

The way I see it, this is our country's cry for help. It's the only way we could find a way to say "things are not okay, and something needs to change." The next step is for us to acknowledge this, to find the flaws, and to start to change them.

There is a lot going on in our country. The fact of the matter is, most of it is not new. It's just finally being exposed and vocalized. There are more factors that will divide us right now than there are things that could bring us together. I understand that for many people seeing our new President-Elect as the future leader of our country and of the free world is an insult, a travesty, etc. I understand that you are angry.

When that anger subsides (and I hope, for your sake that it doesn't last too long), I want you to join me in a fight of solidarity. I want you to join me in an effort to invoke change and reshape our country. We're hurting. That's clear. Let's do something about that.

There is no hate on the path I'm walking. It's not clear where it will take me, but I refuse to let the negativity plaguing our country to define my attitude.

It might be idealistic, but I'm going to do everything in my power to find happiness in these dark times. I'm going to do everything to be a source of hope for others to hold on to.

In the mean time, please stay safe.

If you are cisgender, heterosexual, Christian, upper-economic class, and/or Caucasian male, please be aware of your privilege. Use it to protect those who are marginalized and living in fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment